UVS is an SBA 8(a) certified small business with a valid designation through July 2030.
The SBA 8(a) Business Development Program is a business assistance program that permits agencies to directly procure services and products from those small disadvantaged businesses (SDBs) that are certified under the SBA program. The regulations governing the 8(a) BD program are located in Title 13 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Subpart A, and Section 124. (13 CFR § 124)
Sole Source 8(a) Procurement: The 8(a) sole source vehicle provides agencies a simplified and shortened acquisition process:
– 8(a) Sole Source Allowable for contract awards with a ceiling of $4 million for services and $6.5 million for manufacturing.
– Reduced Decision Cycle: Time required to administratively process and award an 8(a) sole source contract can be as short as 10 days
– Streamlined Acquisition Process: Negotiations occur only between the agency, SBA, and the potential 8(a) eligible vendor.
– Prices Reflect the Best Value: Agency negotiates with the firm directly to get a best value deal.
– Small Business Credits: Agencies can receive small business participation credits with each 8(a) contract they award.
Competitive 8(a) Procurement (for procurements over the $4 million threshold): The 8(a) competitive procurement provides agencies a simplified acquisition process:
– Simplified Acquisition: Agencies benefit from limited competition procurement. The competitive 8(a) procurement requires only three 8(a) firms that are capable of satisfying the agency’s requirements.
– Small Business Credits: : Agencies can receive small business participation credits with each 8(a) contract they award.